NASCAR Cup Series driver Kyle Busch has been ruled out of Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway after being hospitalized due to a severe illness.
Busch, 41, was also scheduled to compete in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race at the same venue in Concord, North Carolina, but will now miss all planned appearances for the weekend.
“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization,” the Busch family said in a statement posted on social media. “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”
Richard Childress Racing (RCR), Busch’s team in the NASCAR Cup Series, confirmed that Austin Hill will replace him in the No. 8 Chevrolet for the Coca-Cola 600. Hill currently drives the No. 21 car in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Series.
“Kyle Busch’s health is our utmost priority and he and his family have the full resources of RCR behind them,” the team said. “Kyle is an integral part of our organization and we wish him a safe and speedy recovery. His No. 8 Chevrolet will be ready and waiting for him. We’re thankful to Austin Hill for stepping in to drive the No. 8 Chevrolet this weekend. Please keep Kyle and the Busch family in your prayers and help us respect the family’s privacy at this time.”
Busch currently sits 24th in the NASCAR Cup Series standings, with two top-10 finishes in 12 races so far this season.
The Las Vegas native is a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, winning titles in 2015 and 2019. He is in his fourth season driving for Richard Childress Racing after previously competing for Joe Gibbs Racing, where he secured both championships.
His most recent Cup Series win came in 2023, his first season with RCR